Determination of CHN Content in Energetic Binder by MIR Analysis
Keicher, Thomas; Dutra, Rita C. L.; Kawamoto, Aparecida M.; Diniz, Milton Faria; Oliveira, José Irineu S. de
http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0104-14282007000100011 Polímeros: Ciência e Tecnologia, vol.17, n1, p.46-50, 2007
Azide polymers samples were analyzed by FT-MIR in order to develop a quantitative methodology to determine the C, H and N content in energetic polymers used in propellants. The elemental analysis data were used as reference. The FT-MIR results show a good agreement with CHN analysis. A good linear relationship was obtained suggesting that the methodology developed in the CTA laboratory can be used for quality control of these energetic polymers.
FT-IR, energetic binders, mid-IR region (MIR), C, H, N, O content
1. Wardle,R. B.;Braithwite,P. C.;Haaland,A. C.;Hatwell,J. A.;Hendrickson,R. R.;Lot,V.;Wallace,I. A.;Zisette,C. B. - High Energy Oxetane/HNIW Gun Propellants, 27th Int.Annual Conference of ICT, Karlsruhe, Germany, June 25-28, p.52/1(1996).
2. Oyumi, Y; Brill, T. B. – Combustion and Flame. Thermal decomposition of energetic materials 12. Infrared Spectral and Rapid Thermolysis Studies of Azide – containing monomers and polymers, 65, p.127-135 (1986).
3. Kubota, N. - Survey of Solid Propellant Combustion, 22nd Int. Annual Conference of ICT, Karlsruhe, Germany, July 2-5, p.40/1 (1991)
4. Kawamoto, A. M., Keicher T., Krause H., Saboia Holanda, J. A. - “Synthesis and Characterization of Energetic Oxetane-Oxirane Polymers for use in Thermoplastic Elastomer Binder Systems”, 36th International Annual Conference of ICT& 32th International Pyrotecnics Seminar, p.195 (2005).
5. Smith, A.L. Applied Infrared Spectroscopy, John Wiley & Sons, New York (1979).
6. Lieber, E.; Rao. C.N.R.; Thomas, A.E.; Oftedahl, E.; Minnis, R.; Nambury, C.V.N - “Infrared spectra of acid azides, carbamyl azides and other azido derivatives. Anomalous splittings of the N3 stretching bands”, 19, p.1135-1144 (1963).
7. Oliveira, J.I.S, Diniz, M.F., Kawamoto, A.M., Dutra, R.C.L., Keicher, T. Characterization MIR/NIR/FIR of Energetic Binders used in Solid Propellants. PEP in press.
8. CHN analysis of AMMO, PolyAMMO, BAMO and PolyBAMO done at the analytical laboratory of ICT using CHN analyser Agiland 1100 serie.
9. Hórak, M.; Vitek, A. “Interpretation and processing of vibrational spectra”. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, p.414 (1978).