Acute and chronic effect of stretching exercise on posture and flexibility of nurses and licensed practical nurses
Introduction: nurses and licensed practical nurses are among the most affected by postural deviations and their drawbacks, in the world. One of the ways to mitigate these ills is physical exercise, and it can be done at work environment, however, not as a form of workout gymnastics. Objective: To verify the effects of a muscle stretching exercise program (MSE) on posture and flexibility of nurses. Methods: Controlled clinical experiment with 28 nurses, aged 18-60 years, divided into experimental group (n=15) and control group (n=13). Anthropometric measures, flexibility and body posture of the trunk were performed. The intervention was of 08 weeks of MSE; each session lasted 40 min. The exercises had four sets of 30s of tension for 30s of the interval. An independent t-test compared the characteristics of the samples. The chi-square test treated the results regarding body posture, and the level of significance was p ≤ 0.05. Results: MSE promoted positive and chronic positive changes in the Experimental Group with attenuation of the concavities of the vertebral column in the cervical and thoracic regions. In the alignment of the cervical region and the curvature of the lumbar region, the effects were observed after the eight weeks of training, including sharp reduction of gibbosity in the scapula region after the exercise session. Conclusion: MSE promoted acute and chronic positive changes in body posture and flexibility in nurses.
1. Dolphens M, Cagnie B, Coorevits P, Vanderstraeten G, Cardon G, Dʼhooge R, et al. Sagittal standing posture and its association with spinal pain [Internet]. Spine; 2012 [cited 2017 Jan 27];37(19):1657–66.
2. Moura Neto AB de, Silva MC da. Diagnóstico das condições de trabalho, saúde e indicadores do estilo de vida de trabalhadores do transporte coletivo da cidade de Pelotas - RS. Revista Brasileira de Atividade Física & Saúde. 2013;17(5):347–58.
3. Polga DJ, Beaubien BP, Kallemeier PM, Schellhas KP, Lew WD, Buttermann GR, et al. Measurement of in vivo intradiscal pressure in healthy thoracic intervertebral discs [Internet]. Spine; 2004;29(12):1320–4.
4. Kanthack Paccini M, Serpeloni Cyrino E, Fátima Glaner M. Efeito de exercícios contra-resistência na postura de mulheres. J. Phys. Educ. 2007;18(2):169–75.
5. World Health Organization. Identification and control of work-related diseases [Internet]. Geneva: 1985 [cited 2017 Jan 27]. Available from: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/40176/1/WHO_TRS_714.pdf.
6. Marziale MHP, Melo MRA, Silva EM. A postura corporal adotada pela enfermeira durante a execuçäo de seu trabalho. Rev. bras. saúde ocup. 1991;19(73):19–24.
7. Engels JA, Van Der Gulden JWJ, Senden TF, Hertog C, Kolk JJ, Binkhorst RA. Physical work load and its assessment among the nursing staff in nursing homes. J Occup Environ Med. 1994;36(3):338–45.
8. Batiz EC, Vergara LGL, Licea OEA. Análise comparativa entre métodos de carregamento de cargas e análise postural de auxiliares de enfermagem. Produção. 2012;22(2):270–83.
9. Zanon E, Marziale MHP. Avaliação da postura corporal dos trabalhadores de enfermagem na movimentação de pacientes acamados. Rev Esc Enferm USP. 2000;34(1):26–36.
10. Garber CE, Blissmer B, Deschenes MR, Franklin BA, Lamonte MJ, Lee I-M, et al. American College of Sports Medicine position stand. Quantity and quality of exercise for developing and maintaining cardiorespiratory, musculoskeletal, and neuromotor fitness in apparently healthy adults: guidance for prescribing exercise. Medicine and science in sports and exercise. 2011;43(7):1334–59.
11. Burke TN, França FJR, de Meneses SRF, Cardoso VI, Marques AP. Postural control in elderly persons with osteoporosis: efficacy of an intervention program to improve balance and muscle strength: a randomized controlled trial. American journal of physical medicine & rehabilitation. 2010;89(7):549–56.
12. Da Silva Filho JN, Gurgel JL, Porto F. Efeitos de exercícios de alongamento para correção postural: revisão sistemática [Internet]. MTP&RehabJournal; 2014;12(12):544–66.
13. Porto F, Espinosa G, Vivian RC, Itaborahy A da S, Montenegro RA, Farinatti P de TV, et al. O exercício físico influencia a postura corporal de idosas? [Internet]. Motriz: Revista de Educação Física; 2012;18(3):487–94.
14. Cunha ACV, Burke TN, França FJR, Marques AP. Effect of global posture reeducation and of static stretching on pain, range of motion, and quality of life in women with chronic neck pain: a randomized clinical trial. Clinics. 2008;63(6):763–70.
15. De Castro AB. Handle with care: The American Nurses Association’s Campaign to address work-related musculoskeletal disorders. Online Journal of Issues in Nursing. 2004;9(3).
16. Falqueto FA, Helrigle C, Malysz T. Prevalência de alterações posturais em praticantes regulares de musculação. Ter Man. 2011;41(9):51–6.
17. Porto F, Gurgel JL, Russomano T, Farinatti PTV. Shadow Moire Technique to measure deformity of the trunk surface in the elderly: a populationbased study [Internet]. In: Bessette A, Rousseau CM, editors. Scoliosis: causes, symptoms and treatment. New York: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.(Nova Biomedical); 2012. p. 73–90.
18. Da Silva Filho JN, Batista LA, Gurgel JL, Porto F. Shadow moiré technique for postural assessment: qualitative assessment protocol by intra- and inter-rater evaluation. J. Phys. Ther. Sci. 2017;29(2).
19. De Weijer VC, Gorniak GC, Shamus E. The effect of static stretch and warmup exercise on hamstring length over the course of 24 hours. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 2003;33(12):727–33.
20. Yahia A, Jribi S, Ghroubi S, Elleuch M, Baklouti S, Elleuch MH. Evaluation of the posture and muscular strength of the trunk and inferior members of patients with chronic lumbar pain. Joint Bone Spine. 2011;78(3):291–7.
21. Granito RN. Efeitos do envelhecimento e da osteoporose na cifose torácica, na propriocepção e no torque dos músculos do tronco [master’s thesis]. São Paulo: Universidade Federal de São Carlos; 2005.
22. López-Miñarro P, Muyor J, Belmonte F, Alacid F. Acute effects of hamstring stretching on sagittal spinal curvatures and pelvic tilt. Journal of human kinetics. 2012;31:69–78.
23. Camargo LC. Efeitos imediatos do alongamento global na retração da cadeia muscular porterior-resposta eletromiografica, dinamometria e avaliação postural. 2007;
24. American College of Sports Medicine. ACSM’s guidelines for exercise testing and prescription. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2006.
25. Hashimoto B, Takahagi LS, Pachioni CAS. Análise da postura de participantes de um programa postural em grupo. Revista Eletrônica de Fisioterapia da FCT-UNESP. 2009;1(1):46–62.
26. Muyor JM, López-Miñarro PA, Casimiro AJ. Effect of stretching program in an industrial workplace on hamstring flexibility and sagittal spinal posture of adult women workers: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of back and musculoskeletal rehabilitation. 2012;25(3):161–9.
27. Li Y, McClure PW, Pratt N. The effect of hamstring muscle stretching on standing posture and on lumbar and hip motions during forward bending. Physical therapy. 1996;76(8):836–45.
28. Schall MC, Fethke NB, Chen H. Working postures and physical activity among registered nurses. Applied ergonomics. 2016;54:243–50.
29. US Department of Labor. Nonfatal occupational injuries and illnesses requiring days away from work, 2012. 2012 [cited 2017 Jan 27];1–33.
30. Jerónimo J, Cruz A. Estudo da prevalência e fatores de risco de lesões musculoesqueléticas ligadas ao trabalho em enfermeiros. Revista Investigação em Enfermagem. 2014;9(2):35–46.